Investing in psychedelics? These publicly-traded companies are making psychedelic therapies the hottest stock options.
Thinking about investing in psychedelics? Experts say it could be a smart move. Researchers have been exploring the benefits of psychedelics for decades. And the research is showing promise; these substances appear to treat a number of mental health issues better than some conventional therapies.
“Decades of research have demonstrated that psychedelics, which are hallucinogenic drugs, are effective in treating mental disorders such as depression, suicidal thoughts, PTSD and anxiety,” Ellen Chang wrote in U.S. News and World Report. “The Food and Drug Administration has approved and fast-tracked several clinical research trials.”
Tania Gonsalves, analyst for Canaccord Genuity Capital Markets, notes that the market value for psychedelic therapies — which are less costly than conventional drug-based treatments — could be as high as $100 billion. She says the companies that will dominate the market “will have deep pockets, patentable products and a well-thought-out reimbursement strategy.”
Legislation and the decriminalization of psychedelics is moving the needle ahead as well. Oregon became the first state to legalize psychedelics in clinical settings as well as decriminalizing personal use and possession. Cities including Denver, Washington D.C., Ann Arbor, Mich., and Oakland and Santa Cruz in California have all passed similar decriminalization laws.
But it isn’t just the U.S. making psychedelics a ripe investing platform. The EU is seeing research and product expansion as is Canada. This list of companies shows a strong presence in the Canadian market.
Public Psychedelic Companies (alphabetical)
1. Aion Therapeutic (CSE:AION), Toronto, Ontario
It’s currently a cannabis company, but plans include crossing over into psychedelics,
2. Atai Life Sciences (NASDAQ: ATAI), Berlin, Germany
A biopharmaceutical company working with a number of substances to treat mental health issues. Its psilocybin-based drug was as effective as the antidepressant Lexapro in clinical trials.
3. Better Plant Sciences (CSE:PLNT,OTCQB:VEGGF), Vancouver, British Columbia
A wellness-focused firm that has taken a majority ownership stake in NeonMind Biosciences, which is working on psilocybin research.
4. Champignon Brands (CSE:SHRM,OTCQB:SHRMF) Port Moody, British Columbia
It’s working with a number of psychedelics and plans to open clinics for psychedelic treatments.
5. Clarify Pharma (AQSE: PSYC.PL.) London, England
An investment platform focused on biotech and life sciences companies with an interest in advancing psychedelic medicine.
6. Codebase Ventures (CSE:CODE,OTCQB:BKLLF), Vancouver, British Columbia
An investment firm with opportunities in psilocybin and microdose enterprise Titan Shrooms & Psychedelics.
7. Compass Pathways (NASDAQ:CMPS), United Kingdom
A research giant focused on depression treatments by way of psychedelics.
8. Field Trip Health (CSE:FTRP) Toronto, Ontario
With an app, ketamine clinics, and Dr. Andrew Weil now on its advisory board, Field Trip is normalizing psychedelic therapies.
9. Global Trac Solutions (OTC Pink: PSYC) San Diego, California
Integrating media, creativity, and technology around psychedelics, it owns and operates Psychedelic Spotlight.
10. Graph Blockchain (CSE:GBLC)Richmond, British Columbia
Its recent acquisition of Shroom Street puts it in position to combine tech and treatment.
11. GreenStar Biosciences (CSE:GSTR,OTC Pink:GTSIF), Vancouver, British Columbia
With the Eleusian Biosciences acquisitions it is expanding research and therapy options through a unique combination of N-Acetylcysteine and psilocybin.
12. Havn Life Sciences (CSE:HAVN) Vancouver, British Columbia
With an exemption from Health Canada, it’s able to research and develop psilocybin-based products for scientific use, developing compounds for natural health products.
13. Hollister Biosciences (CSE:HOLL,OTC Pink:HSTRF) Vancouver, British Columbia
While rooted in cannabis, Hollister acquired psilocybin-focused AlphaMind Brands. It’s working to develop natural health products.
14. Mind Medicine (MindMed) (NEO:MMED,OTCQB:MMEDF) Toronto, Ontario
Tackling opioid addiction with psychedelics is top priority for MindMed and it’s being hailed as one of the hottest stocks in the market after its recent partnership with Johns Hopkins.
15. Mydecine Innovations Group (CSE:MYCO) Vancouver, British Columbia
Mydecine Health Sciences, Mindleap Health, and NeuroPharm make up the group dedicated to developing psychedelic products for treating a variety of ailments.
16. Mynd Life Sciences (CSE: MYND) Vancouver, British Columbia
A pharmaceutical company focused on psychedelic drug development.
17. Neon Mind (CSE: NEON) Vancouver, British Columbia
A subsidiary of Better Plant Sciences Inc. working on psilocybin as a weight loss treatment.
18. New Wave Holdings (CSE:SPOR) Toronto, Ontario
This investment firm is working with companies producing a recreational product line, cosmetics, as well as developing other medical-grade products.
19. Numinus (TSXV:NUMI) Vancouver, British Columbia
With a cannabis business already booming, it’s also exploring psychedelic therapies for treatments related to physical, mental and emotional health.
20. Nutritional High International (CSE:EAT,OTC Pink:SPLIF) Toronto, Ontario
Cannabis-heavy NHI is also researching psychedelics for use in weight loss, insomnia, anxiety, and pain management.
21. Red Light Holland (CSE:TRIP) Toronto, Canada
Canadian-based RLH is distributing legal recreational psilocybin truffles in the Netherlands.
22. Revive Therapeutics (CSE:RVV,OTC Pink:RVV) Toronto, Ontario
Revive is looking at utilizing psilocybin in treating a number of health issues with cannabis and psilocybin.
23. Roadman Investments (TSXV:LITT) Vancouver, British Columbia
Roadman entered in a joint venture with Psychedelic Insights aimed at opening clinics to offer clinician-assisted psychedelic therapies.
24. Seelos Therapeutics (NASDAQ:SEEL) New York, New York
Seelos is working on ketamine treatments to avert suicidal behaviors and other serious mental health disorders.
25. Small Pharma (TSXV: DMT) London, England
A neuropharmaceutical company focused on the potent psychedelic DMT in alternative therapies for mental health treatment.
26. Thoughtful Brands (CSE:TBI,OTCQB:PEMTF) Vancouver, British Columbia
While heavily focused on cannabis, the company (formerly MOTA Ventures), is developing a psilocybin research hub in Germany.
27. Wesana Health (CSE: WESA) Toronto, Ontario
A psychedelic life sciences startup co-founded by former two-time Stanley Cup champion Daniel Carcillo, the company is focused on using psychedelic and naturally sourced therapies to treat traumatic brain injuries.